It is possible to have a healthy treat at Halloween, these red back Spiders are really simple, look effective and taste great. The Spider Legs are an excellent lunch box snack, I often have them in a ziplock bag ready to grab for a very healthy snack. I’ve seen a few other great Healthy Food ideas for Halloween parties. There are some pictures here for further inspiration and the links back to the creators site so you can have a go at these banana ghosts & mandarin pumpkins, carrot stick & dip pumpkin face or mummies made from sausages wrapped in pastry.
It is possible to have a healthy treat at Halloween, these red back Spiders are really simple, look effective and taste great.
- Nori Sheets - 2 (availble asian market or asian aisle of supermarket, sold to make sushi)
- Rice Syrup - 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Chia Seeds - 2 Tablespoons (white is fine too)
- Tahini - Black Tahini if possible to make the spiders eyes or nut butter
- Sesame Seeds - Just a few to finish off the spiders eyes
- Strawberries - Each Spider needs 1/2 small and 1/2 large strawberry, you can pre cut them and freeze them for a cold spider
- Preheat oven to 170C non fan forced if possible
- Stir 1 teaspoon of rice Syrup with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- With dry hands lay 2 sheets of Nori sheets onto an oven tray or 2 (available at the Asian section of supermarket for making sushi)
- With a pastry brush, give the nori sheets a very fine coating of the sweet mix
- Sprinkle generously with black chia seeds (white is fine too)
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 5-10 minutes until no longer moist (it is ok if the sides start to curl)
- Remove and let cool on a rack
- Once cooled and crispy use scissors to cut the nori sheets into spider legs (if you are making the Sweet Nori crisps as a snack you can cut them larger)
- Place the "spider legs" under a large 1/2 strawberry
- Get a smaller half strawberry and using a knife tip blob on 2 eyes using tahini (black tahini works well but any will do, or a nut butter)
- Using the knife tip, stick on some sesame seeds to complete the eye
- Put the spiders head along side it's body and you are ready to "scare" you little ones with a delicious afternoon treat
- Store the remaining nori crisps in a ziplock bag, such a fabulous superfood snack with Chia and seaweed!
- Enjoy xoxSha